Coatsink Software is a part of the European Thunderful Group (HQ based in Sweden) and this role is part of the centralised HR provision, providing support around divisional initiatives, but with specific responsibility for subsidiary Coatsink Software based in Gateshead. As such the postholder is a member of a small international HR team.
Reporting to the People Director, the HR Manager at Coatsink also reports to the Head of Studio and works alongside the Administration Manager as part of the small Senior Management Team (SMT) to advise on the existing business structure and devise and implement a fit for purpose strategic and organisation HR strategy, which supports the business objective/s, while aligning to the Thunderful vision.
The HR Manager will deliver on a range of operational activities within Coatsink Software.
Responsibilities / Areas of Activity / Duties
- Understanding and working within the organisational culture and structure, developing ways to embed Company values as well as demonstrating company values.
- Continuing the work carried out on developing career pathways across the business and managing talent.
- Further developing an affordable, simple, and enticing reward and benefits structure that meets the needs of our colleagues and the business.
- Supporting the Head of Studio in the annual pay award process.
- Working with Department Heads in identifying skills gaps and developing and implementing workable training plans and training courses which keep employees engaged, stretched, and best-in-class.
- Leading on and further developing simple but effective performance management systems.
- Managing company culture through input to effective employee life-cycle processes, including recruitment, pre-boarding, and onboarding.
- Developing and improving people-related policies, ensuring they are legally compliant and reflective of best practice.
- Leading and implementing the wellbeing agenda and information for colleagues, working closely with the Wellbeing Committee and external wellness partners.
- Supporting the DEI Committee, as an Advisor and member, and providing specific HR-related guidance/expertise to the chair and committee members.
- Supporting the Sustainability agenda and Coatsink committee work as part of the Thunderful ‘North Star’ strategic priorities.
- Developing and delivering, as part of a team, the quarterly All Company meetings and monitoring/developing internal communications methods.
- Working with the IT / Facilities Manager to support the Health and Safety function, ensuring that H&S processes are fit for purpose and leading on annual DSE assessments and stress risk assessments, plus any other health and safety risk assessments/policies.
- Keeping the Employee Handbook compliant and up-to-date, issuing updated versions as required.
- Working with the Administration Manager to supportively manage long-term sickness and absence and any short-term frequent absences.
- Managing and collating HR metrics and report KPI’s/data to the SMT/Thunderful Group as agreed.
- Attending Thunderful Group HR Meetings and support on HR Group initiatives.
- Supporting and coaching line managers in people-related issues and processes – such as conflict resolution, grievances, restructures, performance management issues, etc.
- Specifically and currently supporting the implementation of a new HR system and thereafter utilising and managing Cezanne HR system in conjunction with the Administration Manager.
- Undertaking other activities commensurate with position and experience.
- CIPD qualified or equivalent (such as Masters) or equivalent knowledge gained in experience
- A qualification in H&S would be a benefit but is not essential
- Solid HR operational experience in a range of settings, with some experience in the creative or cultural sector
- Significant experience at a strategic level in a range of settings including the creative/cultural sector the tech or knowledge industries
- HR system implementation and use (as part of a team)
- Training and coaching managers
- Managing a wide HR remit with a disparate management team and workforce
- Current employment legislation and HR trends, as well as future developments
- Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion agenda
- Knowledge and understanding of the creative /cultural sector or games or creative industries would be a benefit
- Ability to manage own diary and time to deliver on a range of projects/issues simultaneously
- Use of HR systems and ability to collate and report HR metrics and interpret the data
- Writing policies and documents
- Training Needs Analysis
- Training design and delivery would be beneficial
Aptitude and Qualities
- Preference and aptitude for working as part of several teams
- People-Centric approach to HR
- An alignment with our Coatsink values - ability to integrate into a friendly, kind, and inclusive team
- A can-do and informal approach, with a positive attitude
- Prepared to champion and support charitable, well-being, and sustainability initiatives through attendance at committee meetings and project activities
- Comfortable adapting to use a range of communications tools such as Slack, Discord and Confluence, and Google Meetings as daily communications tools.
- Ability to see the bigger picture whilst maintaining an eye for detail.