Do you love the interesting characters and beautiful worlds of modern indie games as much as we do? Do you have an inner desire to constantly try new art styles and experiment with colours, patterns and shapes? Is your head full of artistic ideas, and you are looking for a way to share your creativity with other people without having to commit to one style for an extended period of time? Are you at home in 2D and 3D and curious about working in whatever D comes next? Great - that's precisely the kind of person we're looking for!
Our mission is to produce 3-4 exciting game prototypes per year based on internal game jams and feedback from our community. And we need your help to make them look as good as possible, no matter the art style.
You will be an essential part of our small but super dedicated development team and create unique assets in 2D and 3D, store assets like logos, banner artworks and app icons. The goal is to constantly try out new ideas and concepts while gradually improving our internal methods and processes to learn as much about game prototyping as possible, all without financial pressure.
In reality, we're also looking for a new best friend and colleague, someone to play co-op games with, a trading card and board game fan, a training partner, a meme lord, a LEGO engineer, someone who loves live concerts as much as we do, a party animal, a High Score cracker, a new band member, someone who eats the leftovers and likes to walk the dogs, an Old or New Schooler, a philanthropist... or simply just someone who is not an a**hole.
- Go completely crazy and create unique art styles for our prototypes
- Design 2D & 3D game assets, including materials and textures
- Create marketing/shop assets that make everyone`s jaws drop
- Become a part of our small family of dedicated and talented developers
- Share your ideas with the team and our community
- Integrate feedback from your peers and the community into your workflow
- At least 2 years of proven work experience in the gaming industry as a 2D artist, 3D artist or General Artist
- Knowledge of Photoshop / Illustrator / Blender, Maya and/or similar programs
- Knowledge of Unity and/or Unreal
- Knowledge in designing UI
- A passion for gaming and a good gaming industry knowledge
- Flawless English
- Living in the UK/Sweden/Germany, preferably in the Cologne area (Germany)
- A structured and creative mind
- Good knowledge of Word/Outlook/Excel
- Basic knowledge of Teams/Slack/Asana/Discord
You get extra points for
- Basic knowledge of JIRA, Asana, Codecks or similar project management tools
- Coding skills
What you can expect from us
In our office in Düren (near Cologne), you will find not only the best colleagues in the world (of course) but also a small but excellent streaming studio, countless handhelds, game consoles and game machines of the last 30 years, including a vast collection of games, unlimited access to all games on Steam, the mandatory table soccer, cosy couches for power naps, a dog, the funniest office cleaning lady in the world, state-of-the-art hardware and height-adjustable desks, bad jokes, free drinks and lots of finished and unfinished LEGO sets.
Of course, you can also work remotely, but the "full experience" with fun, games and excitement is only available here in the office. Other benefits are:
- 30 vacation days
- Flexible working hours, taking individual work-life balance into account
- Choose between working from home and our office in Düren, near Cologne
- If you are interested in relocating to Düren/Colgone, we will help and support you with all the needed resources
- Annual performance reviews with individual goals
- Transparent and fair salary structures and annual salary increases
- No gender pay gap
- All kinds of team events, from regular get-togethers to visiting gaming conventions or theme parks
- Free drinks, free coffee and a well-stocked fridge with tasty foods in the office
- We support you with a Job ticket / give you access to a Jobbike
- You can bring your pet to the office!
If you want to be part of the Headup family and join our wonderful team as a General Artist, we are looking forward to receiving your application through our online application form. Just press the "Join the family"-Button to apply - talk to you soon!
Originally, Headup was a classic indie publisher and launched hits like Trüberbrook, Bridge Constructor Portal, Pumpkin Jack, White Shadows and The Inner World. Over the years, we won many prizes (e.g., 4x Germany's Best Publisher), travelled the world and made many friends within the industry.
Since 2021, Headup is part of the Thunderful family, where we develop new game ideas and test them together with our community. With a bit of luck and your active help, one of these ideas might become big; if not, we'll try out the next idea :)
Thunderful was formed by several indie companies coming together to make something more significant than they could have done independently. The teams within Thunderful have developed the award-winning SteamWorld series, known for its frequent genre-hopping and inclusive design, and more recent AA games like The Gunk, Lost in Random, and other unannounced but equally charming titles.